The best thing about the blueberry ice-cream is its color. Isn’t it gorgeos? Unlike mango ice-cream, this uses an extra step, but involves no custard making and the constant stirring. Creme Fraiche along with heavy cream makes this really creamy. If you cannot find Creme Fraiche in stores, then you can make it at home. Its only fermented heavy cream. Mix buttermilk or yogurt to heavy cream and let it sit at room temperature for 6-8 hours. Check out the creme fraiche recipe on the blog.
Do you know, what is the best thing about making ice-cream. Its like cooking. Once you know the few basic ingredients, then you can mix and match and come up with your own flavor. Like cakes you don’t have to be perfect with measurements and you can taste and adjust it before letting the ice-cream set. When it comes to cakes there is absolutely nothing you can do once its bakes.
Every ingredient used in ice-cream uses a slightly different step. You can puree mangoes and strawberries and add directly to the cream. I tried pureeing the blueberries and directly adding to the cream. It did not turn out good. Once I cooked it up, it gave a totally different result, and I should say, a good one . Use the same technique for blackberries and red currants as well.
Once you know how to create the ice-cream base, then there is no limit to the flavors you can create. You can make eggless ice-cream with cream cheese, goat cheese, condensed milk etc etc. If you want to use eggs, make custard with egg yolks. The more yolks you add, the more creamier the ice-cream will be.
Wash the blueberries, drain well, add blueberries + sugar + lemon juice to a saucepan and place it on medium high heat.
Once it simmers, reduce the temperature to low and let the berries soften for about 5 minutes. To make the process faster, you can stir it and pop the berries with spoon if you wish to.
Strain it through a wire mesh. Press with the spoon to get as much pulp you can. Also scrape the bottom of the sieve for extra pulp.
Let it cool down at room temperature or place it in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes.
Add heavy cream and creme fraiche and using a hand beater, food processor/mixer, mix till everything incorporates well. Taste and add more sugar if needed. If you are adding more sugar mix it well so that the sugar dissolves.
If using ice-cream maker, follow the manufacturers instruction. If doing manually, transfer the mixture into a plastic freezer safe box. After an hour, mix it with a hand beater to break the crystals. Repeat the same process 2 more time. (Wash the hand beater attachment and keep it next to the refrigerator, that makes this an easy process)
If the ice-cream is hard to scoop before serving, keep it at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar or to taste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup creme fraiche
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Wash the blueberries and drain well. Add blueberries + sugar + lemon juice to a saucepan and place it on medium high heat. If berries are dry, add 2 tablespoons of water. Once it starts bubbling turn the heat to low and let it simmer for 5 minutes or till the berries burst. You can keep stirring and break them too.
- Strain the pulp into a bowl with a wire mesh, pressing with a spoon and scraping the bottom of the sieve to get as much pulp you can. Let this cool or place in the refrigerator to cool faster.
- Once it cools, add creme fraiche + heavy cream and beat it with a hand mixer or smooth in a food processor/mixer. Taste and add more sugar if needed. If adding more sugar, beat it till the sugar dissolves.
- If using ice-cream maker follow the manufacturers instructions. If doing manually, transfer the mixture into a plastic freezer safe box. After an hour, mix it with a hand beater to break the crystals. Repeat the same process 2 more times. (Wash the hand beater attachment and keep it next to the refrigerator, that makes this an easy process)
- If the ice-cream is hard to scoop before serving, keep it at room temperature for 10 minutes.
I used fresh blueberries. Frozen blueberries can be use too.
You can use the same method for blackberries, red currants, cherries as well.