This chicken curry can be made under 30 minutes without compromising the taste. No long time stirring, no making masala and still it will be finger licking good. Serve this on a cold winter night or on a weeknight when all you want to do is put together something easy or when you have unexpected guests or whenever there is a get-together and shhhh, no one has to know making this is a breeze.
If you like dry chicken, then you can open the lid and let the excess moisture evaporate for a thicker gravy.
Serve this as a side with roti, naan (the famous Indian bread) or rice.
- To MARINATE:
- 2.2 pounds 1 kg chicken, cut into curry size pieces
- 2 teaspoon red chilly powder/paprika
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder / all spice mix
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon + 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- TO GRIND:
- 4-5 green chillies or depending upon the spice level
- 1 cup sliced onions 2 medium onions
- 1 inch ginger
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup coriander / cilantro leaves
- 2 sprig curry leaves
- 1/4 + 1/8 cup oil
- Wash the chicken and pat dry well. Add the ingredients listed in the marinade, coat the chicken well and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium high heat and add the chicken pieces. Fry for a minute.
- Add the ground herb paste to the chicken, mix, reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and let it simmer for about 20 minutes or till the chicken cooks. You will see an oil layer on top. Taste and adjust the salt and flavor as needed.
- If you want a thicker gravy, open the lid and let it simmer on medium heat for few minutes.
Pressure cooker method:
Heat oil in the pressure cooker on medium high heat and add the chicken pieces. Fry for a minute. Add the ground paste, mix, place the lid, turn the heat to low and cook till you hear 2 whistles.
Slow cooker method:
Heat oil in a pan on medium high heat and add the chicken pieces. Fry for a minute. Transfer the contents of the pan (chicken + oil) to the slow cooker. Add the ground herbs. Cover and let it cook depending on the settings on your slow cooker.