I see the Facebook likes increasing day by day and to that I am very thankful. Every like is a motivation and I hope you keep visiting. I would love to hear from you. If you haven’t had a chance to participate in the giveaway please do it now. It ends today midnight EST.
Roll into a rope.
Tie a simple knot.
Take one end on the bottom and bring it over and press. Alternately take the other end and tuck it under the roll.
If you want to make simple rolls with basic ingredients and simple style, click here.
- 1/2 cup 120 ml warm water
- 2 teaspoons honey or sugar
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast Refer notes if using instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg For eggless rolls click here
- 3/4 cup 180ml cooked, mashed sweet potato (About 1 medium)
- 1 cup 102gm whole wheat flour (I used king Arthur)
- 1 1/4 - 1 3/4 cup 150gm - 210gm unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 egg lightly beaten + 1 tablespoon water
- sesame seeds optional
- Add yeast + warm water + sugar to the mixing bowl, mix well and keep aside for 10 minutes or until the yeast froths. Add salt + egg + mashed potato and mix well. To this add 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1 cup all purpose flour (reserving the remaining all purpose flour and using as needed).
- Knead the dough with your hand, bread machine or stand mixer fitted with dough attachment until you form a soft and non-sticky dough. If kneading with hand use a wooden spoon to mix the initial mixture and when it gets difficult to knead transfer to a floured work surface and work for additional 6 to 10 minutes. Cover with a cloth and keep this in a warm place to rise for 1-2 hours or till the dough is almost double in size.
- To shape into a rosetta: After the 1st rise deflate the dough and divide it into 6 equal parts. Roll each piece into a rope about 12-14 inches long. Tie a knot. Tuck one side below the roll. Bring other aside above the roll and tuck in the middle (check images). Place this on a parchment paper or on a lightly greased sheet, cover with a cloth or greased plastic wrap and let it rise for another 20 - 30 minutes or until almost doubled.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit or 190 degrees Celsius. Brush the egg wash evenly on the rolls and on the sides. Sprinkle sesame seeds. Bake for 17-19 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Let it cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then transfer onto a wire rack.
Alternate shape: Roll each part into a ball and then slightly flatten them.
Whole wheat flour can be substituted for unbleached all purpose flour.
If using instant yeast you don't have to proof the yeast, simply combine all the ingredients together and knead into a dough. Initial rise time takes only about 45 minutes.