Nutrient rich bread loaded with whole wheat goodness. A quick bread and a quick snack.
Toasting the bread and topping it with butter enhances the taste.
Whole Wheat Pumpkin Bread
- 2 cups 240gms whole wheat flour or All purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom powder optional
- 1 cup 200gms white sugar
- 1/4 cup 15gms packed brown sugar
- 1 stick 4oz(1/2 cup)(113gms) unsalted butter softened at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup 240ml unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 1 cup chopped apple skin removed
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- FOR STREUSAL TOPPING:
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon solid unsalted butter
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit or 175 degrees celsius.
Whisk together flour + baking powder +baking soda + salt.
In a large bowl beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and pumpkin puree and beat well.
Reducing the speed of the electric mixer, add the flour and mix well until flour is fully incorporated.
Fold in the apple and walnuts.
Pour into a 9*5 inch loaf pan. Add streusel topping.
Bake for 55-60 minutes until a skewer inserted in the middle of the bread comes out clean.
FOR STREUSAL TOPPING:
Mix in the butter, walnuts and brown sugar with a fork pressing the butter well.
I used King Arthur Whole Wheat flour.
This bread can be baked in a 9*2inch cake pan.
At the end of the baking time, if the bread is not done and the top of the bread starts to darken, place an aluminum foil on top of the pan and let the bread stay in the oven for few more minutes as needed.