I have always wondered why this dish is called chicken65. Could it be because the chicken is cut into 65 pieces? ‘Nah..that cant be true’, I knew. Then I found the answer and assuming that’s true, This dish originated in south India restaurant and used to be 65th on the menu of the restaurant. When soldiers from northern part of India did not know the regional language, they would refer it to chicken 65 and hence the name.
Hope you try this recipe. Enjoy!
Above, fried chicken ready to be coated in yogurt sauce.
Resting time: 2-4 hours
- Part 1:
- 3 boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into 1/2 inch pieces (About 2 handful)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon red chilly powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala/ All spice mix Recipe Here
- 2 heaped teaspoons ginger garlic paste
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons corn starch or corn powder
- 1 egg well beaten
- Part 2: Mix this ingredients together
- 1/2 cup thick yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon red chilly powder use paprika (Kashmiri red chilly powder) for color
- 1/2 teaspoon all purpose flour / maida
- Salt to taste
- Part 3:
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 4 green chillies slit dried red chillies can be substituted
- 3 sprig curry leaves
- Oil for deep frying
- Spring onions/ scallions for garnish Optional
- Red food color Optional
- Wash and drain the chicken pieces well. Pat with paper towel and dry completely. Add all the ingredients from part 1 into the chicken, except the corn flour and egg, and mix well. Now add corn starch and egg, mix and keep aside for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Heat oil and deep fry one piece of chicken. Taste and adjust the salt and spices if needed. Fry the remaining chicken on medium till the chicken is cooked and the coating is golden brown.
- Meanwhile mix the ingredients in part 2. Taste and adjust the salt and keep aside.
- Part 3: Heat 3 tablespoons of oil, add mustard seeds, once that cracks add cumin seeds. Now add curry leaves and green chillies. Saute and add the yogurt mixture into the oil. Add the fried chicken and coat that with the yogurt mixture. Garnish with green onions/ scallions
Make sure you adjust the salt when deep frying and in yogurt.
Few drops of red food color can be used in yogurt to acquire the restaurant style.