My 2 year old son never showed any interest when it came to cakes or birthdays. I guess that’s what a 2 year old is supposed to do. Still I thought if I bake a cake with all the things he loved I sure could see an excitement on his face. Words cannot explain the smile on his face when he took the 1st glance at this flashy cake with bright colors, m&ms and his favorite Oreos. I should say the cake was yummy too and was the highlight of the evening.
About the candle in the apple thing. Did not want to contaminate the cake since my 2 year old was just learning to blow.
Chocolate and Fruit Cake
Servings: 2 , 13*9 inch cakes, 18 slices
- 4 cups sugar
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup dark Cocoa powder
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 cup milk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cup boiling water
- FOR ICING:
- 3 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 5 cups powdered or icing sugar
- DECORATION: I used my son's favorites
- Oreo Cookies
- 1 8 0 z can peaches
- 1 8 oz can mandarin oranges
- 1/2 cup juice reserved from the fruits
- colored sugar
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 13* 9 inch round baking pans.
- Stir together sugar + flour + cocoa + baking powder + baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until skewer inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
- For the icing and decoration:
- Chill the attachments and bowl needed for whipping the cream for 10-15. Pour the heavy whipping cream into the bowl. Add the sugar and vanilla extract and beat until stiff peaks are formed. (Do not over beat or whipping cream will curdle). Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and place this in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Drain the fruits and reserve the juice.
- To start the icing place level the top of the cakes with a serrated knife. Place one cake on the cake plate with the leveled side up. Brush with 1/2 of the reserved syrup. Place the fruits in a single layer leaving 1 inch from the edges of the cake empty. (else when you keep the 2nd layer the fruits will get pushed out) Top with whipped cream.
- Place the 2nd layer on the top of this cake, with the cut side down. Give a gentle press. Top this with the remaining whipped cream. Create some piping design on the edges and decorate as needed.
Notes: The Cake recipe is the same i used in black forest cake except that i doubled the ingredients.
This is a quarter sheet cake. The recipe can be halved to make 2 standard 9*2 inch cakes.
Cake recipe adapted from: Hershey’s