Even if I am high up freezing at the 14,000 altitude or in the plains of Florida, I cannot let go of hot chocolate. Its the most comforting drink when it gets a little cold. This hot chocolate is creamy, rich and kind of like the hot chocolate one likes rather than the watery tasting hot chocolate. I can be very picky about mine and there are only selected places I buy from. I have had experiences where its was just a watery tasting mixture of cocoa and sugar.
Top it with whipped cream and salted caramel sauce or chocolate sauce.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar or to taste
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 2 tablespoons 20 gram finely chopped chocolate bar or chips
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Combine milk + cocoa + sugar + corn starch in a sauce pan with a whisk. Bring it to a simmer but don't let it boil.
- Add chopped chocolate in a serving glass or a mug. Pour the simmering milk into the glass. Let stand 1 minute. Mix it well with a small whisk or spoon until the chocolate melts. Mix in vanilla and pinch of salt. Taste and adjust the sugar if needed.
- Top with whipped cream and drizzle with caramel or chocolate syrup.
I used whole milk. But you can use the one you want. The addition of chocolate and cornstarch will make it creamy.
If you are using low fat milk or similar you can substitute half the milk with half and half.