Let me warn you, from my own experience that if you have cheesecake lovers at home, make sure you make this cake when they are not around. As sinful as this looks, making and digging into this scrumptious thing is all about patience. I wanted to surprise Agnel on Valentines with one of his favorite desserts. Initially the plan was something like this: I will make the cake a day in advance and pop it in the refrigerator so that on the V day, I can decorate it with raspberry marmalade. But at the last moment something came up, couldn’t stick to the plan and had to make it when he was around. The moment he knew I was making cheesecake, he was buzzing around the oven to see the baking timer go off. But then I told him the cake has to stay in the oven for another hour and after cooling it has to be refrigerated before having. But alas, the moment cake was out of the oven my hubby was there with a spoon to dig into it. So that explains why the chocolate drizzle instead of the heart shape marmalade.
Melt the chocolate in the microwave or in a double boiler. Drizzle the melted chocolate with a fork. I always get the perfect consistency to drizzle, when I use a double boiler. Place a saucepan with water on a stove. Add chocolate chips or evenly cut chocolate chunks in a bowl. Place the bowl over the saucepan making sure that the water doesn’t touch the bottom of the chocolate bowl. On low heat, keep stirring the chocolate till it melts.
You can choose to press the crumbs only on the bottom of the pan or towards the sides. I have pressed it towards the sides.
For even baking, fill half a roasting pan with boiling water. If using a spring foam pan, cover the bottom of the pan with 2-3 layers of foil, just in case the pan leaks. Bake it for an hour. Turn of the oven, open the oven door , close it and let the cheesecake stay for additional hour. This prevents cracking. Once the cheesecake is out of the oven, let it cool completely before placing this in the refrigerator. Cover it nicely with a plastic wrap.
There you go. You have a perfect, no crack traditional cheesecake :).
- FOR CRUST:
- 30 graham crackers. Approx 2 cups powdered
- 6 tablespoons 85 grams butter, melted
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- FOR FILLING:
- 16 oz 452 grams(2 cups) cream cheese
- 1 and 1/2 cup 300 grams sugar
- 16 oz 452 grams(2 cups) sour cream
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
- FOR DRIZZLING
- Salted caramel sauce Recipe
- 3 oz 85 grams chocolate bar(I used Lindt 70%).
- 8 *3 inch pan spring form baking pan recommended See notes
- PREPARING CRUST:
- Preheat oven to 350 Degree Fahrenheit or 175 Degrees Celsius.
- Cover the bottom of spring form pan with 3 layers of aluminum foil to avoid leakage. Add melted butter + sugar to powdered crackers. Mix well and press it into a well greased pan. Bake for 10 min.
- Take this out of the oven.
- Reduce the heat to 325 Degree Fahrenheit or 160 Degrees Celsius.
- Beat cream cheese well. Add sugar and beat well. Add eggs one by one beating well. Add sour cream + lemon zest + vanilla and beat well. Pour into the baked crust.
- Fill half of the roast pan with boiling water and place the pan in it. Place this in the middle rack of the oven and bake for 1 hr. Cheese cake should be little wobbly in the center. switch off the oven, open the door, then close it and let the cake stay inside for another 1 hr.
- Remove the pan and place it on a cooling rack. Cool completely before placing in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Loosen the edges by moving a knife around the edges of the pan. Transfer to a cake plate.
- MELTING CHOCOLATE:
- (Microwave method): Melt 75 % of chocolate in the microwave for approx 1 1/2min stirring every 30 sec. Add the remaining 25% chocolate and mix well. Drizzle over the cake with a fork.
- (Stovetop method): Place a saucepan with water on a stove. Add chocolate chips or evenly cut chocolate chunks in a bowl. Place the bowl over the saucepan, making sure that the water doesn't touch the bottom of the chocolate bowl. On low heat, keep stirring the chocolate till it melts.
If springform pan is not being used, removing the cake from the pan will be a little tricky.
If using normal baking pan:
Once the cake cools down, move a knife around the cake. Cover the top of the cake with a plate and holding the plate with one hand invert the cake onto the plate. Now reverse the process using the cake plate or the serving plate.
Correct any imperfections with sourcream, chocolate or marmalade.