This Almond and Pistachio Kulfi | Popsicle is absolutely EASY, NO COOK, no stir, EGGLESS ICE-CREAM.
It takes less than 10 minutes to make and doesn’t need an ice-cream maker.
Blanching almonds and pistachios can take additional 10 minutes if you plan to do it at home.
Kulfi is popular as a street food in India. The street vendor often stores the kulfi in earthern pots.
Most of the Indian desserts are prepared by simmering milk on low heat till the milk reduces in volume and becomes thick. Its a long process and can be often time consuming.
These days with heavy cream, condensed milk, evaporated milk and similar products in the market, its so much easier to make these Indian desserts at home with ease.
To blanch almonds or pistachios at home: (You can use store brought slivered almonds if you don’t want to go to the process of blanching the nuts)
- Bring a pot of water to boil.
- Add unsalted whole almonds with skin. Let it simmer for a minute but not longer than that.
- Drain the almonds in a colander and rinse with cold water. You will see that the skin has slightly loosened.
- Pat dry with paper towel.
- Hold one side of the almond and give it a gentle squeeze. You have blanched almonds.
Add the blanched almonds + pistachios into a jar of a mixer or food processor along with 1/2 cup of milk and grind it to a smooth paste.
P.s: This ice-cream doesn’t crystalize, so you don’t have to worry about beating it or churning it once it goes into the refrigerator.
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 3/4 cup Condensed Milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1/4 cup Almonds blanched (skin removed)
- 1/4 Pistachios blanched
- pinch of Saffron optional
- Additional pistachios for garnish optional but recommended
- Add the blanched almonds + pistachios into a jar of a mixer or food processor along with 1/2 cup of milk and grind it to a smooth paste. Transfer into a mixing bowl.
- To the same mixing bowl, add heavy cream + remaining milk + condensed milk + cardamom powder. (If using saffron, add it to a tablespoon of warm milk and keep it aside for 5-10 minutes. Add this to the ice-cream mixture). Mix well and adjust the sweetness as needed by adding more condensed milk.
- Transfer into kulfi molds, popsicle molds, small plastic cups or shallow freezer safe dish and let it sit for 3-4 hours. Add the popsicle stick once the kulfi is half set.
To easily remove kulfi from the mold, dip it in warm water and rub the mold between the palm of your hands.
After removing the kulfi from the mold coat the kulfi with crushed pistachios if needed.
You can also sprinkle crushed pistachios on top of the mold once the mixture is half set.
You can also use store brought slivered almonds if you don't want to go to the process of blanching the nuts.
Check out how to blanch almonds at home - super easy. You can blanch the pistachios the same way too.
To blanch almonds or pistachios at home:
Bring a pot of water to boil.
Add unsalted whole almonds with skin. Let it simmer for a minute but not longer than that.
Drain the almonds in a colander and rinse with cold water. You will see that the skin has slightly loosened.
Pat dry with paper towel.
Hold one side of the almond and give it a gentle squeeze. You now have blanched almonds.