What is Paneer Tikka Masala?
How to make vegan curry?
To make a vegan version of the classic Indian curry, you can substitute butter with vegan butter and use firm tofu instead of paneer. Also, you can use cashew cream instead of heavy cream.
How to make Paneer Tikka Masala?
It is an absolutely easy recipe
- Marinate the paneer: Marinate the paneer with yogurt and spices and grill it or saute it lightly.
- Prepare the gravy: Sautee ginger, garlic, onions, and spices in butter and then add tomato puree and spices. It is mainly a tomato based gravy.
- Make it richer: Adding cashews, heavy cream to makes it creamy.
- Finally, add in the grilled paneer.
- Finish it with honey. It gives a subtle sweetness and is one of the secrets to making a great Punjabi style curry.
How to make Indian Curries?
The secret to making any Indian curry is to sautee the onions and tomatoes well till you see a layer of oil on top. This process ensures that there is no raw taste. Saute the spices too and simmer it gently till you see a layer of oil on top.
- 250 g 1/2 pound Paneer (A type of Indian cheese)
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 teaspoons ginger garlic paste
- 2 cups pureed tomatoes About 4 medium tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup cashew powdered
- 1 tablespoon honey no substitute please
- SPICE MIX:
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Kashmiri red chilly powder or red chilly powder/paprika
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
- MARINADE FOR PANEER:
- 1/4 cup very thick yogurt
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilly powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
Marinate the paneer and keep aside for at least 30 minutes. Lightly apply oil on a pan and fry the paneer until charred and looks grilled. Alternately you can also use the oven and broil the paneer on a skewer or on a tray. keep aside.
Heat oil and butter in a pan on medium heat. Add onion and ginger garlic paste. Mix well and let this cook. To this add the spice mix, stir for about 30 seconds, add the tomato puree and salt. Let this simmer till the oil layer can be seen on top.
Add water and let this simmer again. Add cashew powder and mix well. Lower the heat and add heavy cream and honey, mix again. Sprinkle a teaspoon of chilly powder and let this simmer till the oil layer can be seen on top, about 20 minutes. Initially, the gravy will be yellow, but after a while, once the oil starts separating, the curry turns to a red. Adjust the honey as per taste. 2-3 minutes before you turn off the heat, add the cooked paneer. Transfer into a serving dish and garnish with finely chopped coriander/cilantro leaves.